Learn How To Start A Mommy Blog!
Julia Levy, mother of 2, shares her story and lessons learned in starting Little Austinite, one of Austin’s biggest and most well-known mom blogs.
The Best Book On How To Start A Mommy Blog
Julia Levy’s blog, Little Austinite, caters to a niche audience of parents in Austin, Texas. After starting it in 2008, the blog expanded rapidly, earning 1000s of readers per month. In this book, she’ll show you, step-by-step, exactly how she became a successful mommy blogger.
What’s In The Book
- Find content in limited free time: Moms hardly have time to get ready in the morning—much less write a blog! Learn how to integrate content into your daily life, so you don’t have to sacrifice time with your kids (even if you do want them gone for an hour or two).
- Sketch out a basic blog concept: plan ahead early, so you don’t have to change everything once your blog takes off!
- Target the right audience—whether a niche group or general readership: don’t let your subjects fall on deaf ears, even if they do at home. Find an audience, outside of family, early on.
- Search for the professional template that fits your needs: which platform should you use? Should you use a professional or free template? Which layout won’t hurt your readers’ (and your) eyes?
- Drive traffic to your blog with Facebook, Twitter, and SEO: Social media isn’t just for savvy college students anymore! Use social media to connect with other moms and draw traffic to the site.
- Set up Google Analytics to track visitors to the blog: so addictive, it’s almost criminal. Use Google Analytics to track unique visitors, page views, and time spent on the site.
- Kid-friendly topics that parents care about: cover basic questions parents want answered that you already know as a mom. Don’t just write a laundry list of Jack and Jill’s daily activities—no matter how exciting they may be!
- 3 statistics advertisers look for in a blog: know what paying advertisers look for in a blog—unique IP addresses, page clicks, and average time spent on the site—so you can reap the profits from your time and effort.
- 5 ways to monetize your blog: mommy blogging can be lucrative. Learn how to make money with ads, outside shops, and sponsorships.
- Gauge reader response: track the posts your readers like most. Become a social media maven by checking Facebook “likes” and comments. Tailor your posts so readers come back for more!
- Create a network of mommy bloggers: don’t spend all day alone with your kids! Tap into social media and local playgroups to find a network of moms to share triumphs and trials with.
- Resources and examples for inspiration: look at popular mommy blogs like The Pioneer Woman and Dooce to find what works best (and what you would change!)